Tuesday, August 30, 2005

High School Reunion:

I received a mailing informing me that the 10 year high school reunion for my school is to take place on October 1st. I'm not sure if I'm going to attend. I had a miserable time in high school and I don't have any friends from there that I stayed in contact with. It is tempting to go and see how people have turned out after ten years. I assume the next reunion won't be for any ten years so I should consider attending this one as the opportunity won't arise for another ten years.

It might sound vain, but I thinkI'd be more likely to attend if I were in the physical shape I was two years ago, and if other aspects of my life were going better. I'm sure there are only a few people that really have their lives on the path that they'd like, but I feel that I should be one of those. When I think about people that in my life now, I think only a few of them have their lives on the path they envisioned. The only one who really stands out in my mind is my old roomate Renato. He just got married in July, and he's earning big bucks at a law firm in San Francisco. Even he confided that while he is happy with where his life is, he did have higher expectations for himself that he hasn't achieved because of certain decisions he's made. For example, in college he always wanted to become involved with politics, but he hasn't followed through on those ambitions. In contrast, his best friend, who is also lawyer, has already made a run for Congress.

Let me ponder the situations of other friends. Sidegames is still trading, which is what he's always wanted to do. Like me, he is in a rebuilding stage. Three years ago he was driving Ferraris and living the high life, now he's trying to rebuild. Of course, my high point wasn't anywhere near his, but right now, we are in similar circumstances. My friend James wanted a career in federal law enforcement, but a spontaneous lost of hearing in one ear a few years ago destroyed such possibilities. Right now, he's in a temporary sales job while he figures out what he wants to do with his life. He's in the process of taking science classes in order to get work as a sales rep for a drug company, or possibly to go to med school. My friend Jim is working as an electrician, and has his money planned out probably better than most.

Over the next month, I'm sure I'll continue to ponder whether or not I'll attend the reunion. In the meantime, I suppose try to be more focused on diet and exercise. I could lose ten pounds if I lost weight properly, which would put me at around 185. That's better than the 220 lbs I was previously, but still about 20-30 lbs short of what I should be. A more extreme weight loss could be achieve with extreme willpower, but I'm not sure if I care to do that. I could probably lose 20 lbs safely as at this weight, the pounds can come off easily, and it wouldn't be dangerous. I'd make sure I ate adequate protein and consume proper vitamins and minerals. If I really want to jump start my fitness program, though, I should probably start weight lifting agin this week. I'm thinking that I won't figure out if I'm attending the reunion, though, until a few days prior.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?