Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Oliver is sick:

My cat of five years has been sick for the last few days. I believe I first noticed vomit stains on the rug on Thursday. Cats occasional vomit because they licked a dirty plate or dug through the garbage. Both of my cats have vomited in the past but were fine afterwards. On Saturday, I finally caught Oliver in the act of vomiting. Prior to that, I wasn't sure whether it was Misiu or Oliver. I decided to bring him in to the vet's office because he had vomited 3-4 times in a two day period which is a cause for concern.

I told the vet that I found some hair in one of the first vomitus, so I suggested that it might be a hairball. The vet said that Oliver was still well hydrated so he gave me a some pills and some Laxatose. Laxatose helps move hairballs, and I learned that the pills were meant for surpressing vomiting and diarrhea, and to increase nutrient absorbtion. I had a hard time giving both to Oliver and even caused him to vomit once because I hadn't yet mastered the method of administering the pills to Ollie.

Over the rest of the weekend, I noticed that Oliver was drinking, but he wasn't really eating. I estimated that he ate about 20 pellets of food over 4 days. On Monday, I tried buying a different flavor of Laxatose in the hope that he would like it better. He hated the stuff the same. Today, I called the veterinarian for consultation and after I told him Oliver's condition, he asked me to bring him in for bloodwork. I just got back from the office visit. The lab results should be in tomorrow. Oliver had lost 7 ounces since Saturday. They administered a fluid injection because of the weight loss. I'm really worried about Oliver and I hope it's nothing serious. I worried that I might lose him, but he shouldn't be that sick since he's so young and never had problems in the past.

The cliche` "when it rains, it pours" seem to be relevant here. I'm having problems with Oliver, and I made some poor choices this past weekend with poker. That should have been the subject of another blog, but I haven't felt like writing until today. Suffice it to say that I tried moving up to higher limits too fast and now I set myself back at least a month or two. I knew that the decision was a poor one, but I guess I was motivated by impatience and a desire to show Beata that I could really make some good money doing this rather than grinding along as I have been. The grinding along was actually good progress, in retrospect. Too bad I made the poor decisions because I'm now faced with possibly more veteranarian bills. Also, had I been in a better financial situation right now, I could have taken advantage of a cheap United fare to BKK that would have requalified me for Premier status on UA. Oh well, so goes life.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?