Saturday, February 11, 2006

Spending time with the Ex:

I haven't been sarging at all since I've gotten back. I've also been spending too much time with the ex. Tonight, I was reminded of one of the reasons we broke up. She was bitching like crazy and was pissing me off.

The Killing Fields:

I watched this movie for the first time today. I remember reading an article a few weeks ago about how the trail of former Khmer Rouge leaders was set to begin this year. After reading that article, I decided I wanted to watch this movie so I could get a feel for the history of Cambodia. Prior to watching the film, all I knew about Cambodia was as follows. First, I knew that it is now a very poor country. Because Sidegames had visited their with his ex fianance, I also knew that the temples of Angkor Wat are located there. As for the Khmer Rouge, I knew that was the name of the party that ruled Cambodia around the time of the Vietnam War. I also knew that the leader was named Pol Pot and that the group had committed atrocities.

By watching this move, I learned what the chain of events were that lead to the Khmer Rouge takeover. I also learned more about the atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge. After seeing the movie, I was motivated to learn more about Cambodia. I learned that the Khmer Rouge were eventually overthrown when Vietnam invaded in 1979.

As for the atrocities, I believe this story is the most moving one I've read in my brief web search tonight. The scene that the author portrays seems almost unbelievable. Unfortunately, it has been a scene that has been repeated throughout the 20th Century and I understand that there is killing even now in parts of Africa.

I'll say that just like visiting the Anne Frank House, a night with this movie has given me a better appreciation for life. When I get pissed over stupid things or feel approach anxiety while sarging, I need to remember to appreciate the gift of life as I know it. Sure, I wish I could have a better life, but I need to remember that I'm lucky to not have to suffer like these people have. I need to remember that their are billions of people who probably would want to live my life, or anyone's life here in the US.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?