Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Phone Number close & then desperation mess-up:

Good phone sarging:
My friend works for an airlines here in Chicago. She was at worked and called me to talk about a problem she was having with her cat. As we're talking, she starts telling me how a guy ran "The Cube" on a co-worker of hers. My friend recognized "The Cube" b/c I had ran it on her and explained how it works. I soon found that I was having my friend relay messages to her co-worker. I decided to have my friend put the co-worker on the phone as it was annoying having messaged relayed, and I wanted to see if I could sarge her.

We talked for about 10-15 minutes. I DHV with a few stories. I also wouldn't get pulled into her frame. At one point, I asked her about lame pickup moves. I said that guys probably come up and say, "I like your shoes, can I buy you a drink? We laughed about that. Then she tried to test me by asking, "What is your pick-up line?" I didn't have a witty comeback, so I just sat there silent. She then changed the subject.

I could tell it was going well so I decided to try for a number close. I didn't want to rely on my friend hooking us up and I was afraid the HB would get called to meet an arriving plane. They were at work, after all. I used my favorite routine from the ASF pickup guide, "What steps can we talk to make sure we could talk again?"
HB: ?
Me: You think that with it being the 21st Century, we'd be able to figure out a way we could talk again. There's got to be some way we can talk to each other again without standing next to each other."
HB: Cell phones?
Me: Yeah.
HB: Give me your number.
Me: Naw. I don't do that. I know you women collect phone numbers and stuff. Why don't you give me yours?
HB: I asked you first.
Me: I'll tell you what. We can exchange numbers. That will be fair.

Then, things got messed up here. She asked for my number, I gave it to her, and then she called me from the cellphone. I picked up and said, " Can I help you?" She hung up the cellphone. I switched back to the other line, and she hung up that line. Later, my friend says the HB claimed I hung up. Now that I think about it, I don't think she realized I was going to answer the cellphone. I needed to so I could save the number.
HB was intrigued:

The HB was intrigued b/c I met up with my friend and her fiance later that night. My friend said the HB was asking about me and wanted us all to go to a Japanese restaurant. I couldn't stop thinking about her.

Random encounter today :(

I went to my friend's house to watch the new Harry Potter movie on DVD as I had received it on Netflix. My friend's mother was flying in so we had to go pick her up from the airport. I went with them and as we're standing near the Customs exit in Terminal 5, my friend spots the HB. She then calls her over and tries to introduce me. At this point, I wanted to run. I was wearing my glasses, and I wasn't dressed that nicely b/c I wasn't planning on going out. The HB and my friend started talking. My friend had kind of introduced us when we were 30 feet away and couldn't see each other. I walked up to the two of them and they were having a conversation. The HB didn't even turn to look at me. For some reason, I felt like I couldn't interrupt. I decided to make sure my side was facing the HB so I wouldn't show too much interest. Before I could say anything, they both decided to go back through the exit door. My friend had her airport ID so she was able to go back.

Obviously, that was a shitty first impression. I didn't even get to say Hi, and I looked like shit. I knew I had to redeem myself on the phone.
Friend messes up with a phone invite:

I'm happy the following happened, in a way, for several reasons. First, I learned that you can't rely on people to do stuff for you the way you need it done. I needed to run this game myself. If I hadn't #closed this girl, I wouldn't have even gotten that far as my friend didn't want to do her best to hook me up. (To her credit, she was willing to set up the Japanese dinner, but things got messed up b/c we ran into her at the airport and I made a shitty first impression.) While we all hung out, we decided to go to Alumni Club in Schaumburg. (I wrote about that outing in the entry before this one.) I said it would be a good time to invite the HB. I figured I'd call and say something like, "Hi. You weren't as friendly and outgoing as I expected, but convinced me to give you another chance. Besides, you were amusing on the phone so I figure we could be friends. We're going out to Alumni Club, you can join us if you want."

My friend convinced me that it would be better if she called. I told her to invite the HB casually, and then hand me the phone. My friend calls and gets voice mail. The HB calls back later and my friend tells her that we're all going to Alumni Club. She said it in a way that emphasized me, so it was obvious she was trying to set this up for me. That was a fuckup. My friend should have said she was going with some friends to Alumni Club. The next messup is that I kept trying to get my friend to give me the phone so I could run game and make up for the bad first impression. Instead of handing me the phone, my friend says, "Do you want to talk to Ted?" She says, "No, I'll call him when I get home."

I knew I was busted out then. You can't give her a chance to say, "No" like that since I already made a shitty impression in person. If my friend had just said, "Hold on a sec," and put me on then I could have run my lines and salvaged the situation.

Desperation:
Because I haven't been out sarging and my only sarging has been some myspace stuff, I was thinking about this HB too much. I messed it up like that. I think I would have been okay if we hadn't run into her, but the same random chance that helped me get this number messed it up for me. I should remember that I always have to be "on." Still, that was just shitty timing.

Plans:
Going out to Alumni Club helped. I need to keep practicing and I know I'll make up for this. I'll still try a move by either letting my friend try to set up a Japanese food outing, or I'll call and run some game. I'm thinking I can run something similar to what I wrote above. I can also say that my friend has been trying to push the HB on me, so maybe that will seem like an explanation for my friend calling and trying to invite HB.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?