Saturday, June 17, 2006

Failure to Launch on Number Close
Current mood: embarrassed

I feel dumb writing this post. I opened had a great lone wolf set going at Border's. I had spotted this pale brunette when I walked in. She was sitting on a chair and reading. I violated the three second rule by not opening her right away, but that doesn't matter. The three second rule applies mostly to newbies. Newbies find that they get paralyzed when they don't approach right away. I just opened three other sets in Border's. Finally, I decided to open this girl. I was sick of "tent" so I created a new situational opener. I spotted a book about Chicago's Milennium Park. I was flipping through the pages when I spotted an aerial view of the "Faces" fountain (not the offical name, I'm sure, but anyone who knows the park knows what I'm talking about). Next to the fountain was a shiny mirrored rock. I actually haven't see that in person yet. I decided it would be fun to approach the girl with the book in hand and ask her if she knew what city the picture was from.

She knew that the picture was in Chicago. I then asked if she visited the museums often and she said she loves the Art Institute since she loves art. (In retrospect, I could have DHV by talking about my visit to the Andy Warhol exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art last month with Beata). At one point, she mentioned that it was expensive to go to the musuems since she was still a student. I mentioned the free days and then I told her about my adventures at Body Worlds. (Basically, my buddy Colorado Dave and I could get tickets on the last weekends so we snuck past some guards and I talked the guy at the exit turnstile into letting me in to "find friends.") I really reached the hook point when I talked about my favorite subject: travel.

As I describe in a blog entry, I went with Beata to an open casting call for a show that the travel Channel is developing. The story of my experience there has turned into my own routine. The show is based on the book "1000 Places to See before You Die." I talk about how I was totally calm at the casting call even though Beata was nervous. I explain how I had a calming effecto on her. I then ask the HB the main question I was asked at the casting call, "If you could travel anywhere in the world right now, where would you go?" I tell them to consider their answer and then I tell them how I answered the question. I talk about my desire to visit Iran and North Korea.

The sarge went on for a good ten minutes but then Border's announced that it was closing soon. My target mentioned how it was closing soon and then called to her guy friend that was standing near. I still haven't experienced enough mixed sets so I got a little nervous. I know how to handle boyfriends, but I was sure this wasn't the boyfriend. I didn't need to speculate as I just asked what Mystery says you ask every set, "How do you two (or you all) know each other?" She explained that this was a childhood friend. I then turned to him and started talking to him. She was surprised at this and got up while I was talking to him. I won him over and could have #closed her right there.

Instead, I decided to go talk to my buddy and I told them it was a pleasure meeting them both. We ended up running into them again at the doorway. My dumb ass didn't even look at her. I knew she liked me because she held the door for her friend, my friend, and then me. My friend later told me that she didn't even look at him but was focused on looking at me. In other words, that was conclusive proof of what was already obvious: she wanted to give me a final chance to number close her.

WHY DID I FAIL TO CLOSE?

This is a mistake I made for my first three months of sarging. I missed out on number closing a few girls that I now know would have been solid closes. I'm pretty sure I messed up a probably lay in Maui. I used to fear closing for two reasons. One reason is what Tyler Durden calls "State Control." What that means is that when a sarge goes well, you get scared to go for the close b/c you are offering yourself up for rejection and you thus risk losing the good feelings you are having. Another lesser reason is that I feared closing too early since it would probably result in a flake.

I feel really stupid about not number closing this because I haven't failed to try for a close in over two months. I've even attempted number closes when I was almost sure I'd get rejected. I think what really messed me up was that a guy was there. I played everything right and even won him over. I have little experience with mixed sets so I reverted to what was comfortable, which was not closing.

I just have to learn from this failure and make sure I don't do it again. I must remember to not be too hard on myself. I can tell I'm improving every day. I had a good set yesterday and another good one last night. Today (Sat), I'm sure I'll have yet another good set and hopefully another solid number. .

Comments:
I have a copy of the Game and have it on the night stand ready to read. This is pretty fascinating entry. I look forward to more!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?