Saturday, June 10, 2006

Manhattan Club Outing, VIP style:

My trip to NYC has been mostly filled with family reunion type stuff, but I finally got a chance to check out the Manhattan club scene last night at Quo. My cousin is friends with one of the owners so I got the VIP treatment. I just got done reading a few reviews of the place. From what I've read, I would have had a horrible experience if I didn't go with my cousin. The reviews say that place charges a $25-30 cover charge, makes you wait in a long line, and will turn you away if you have a big group of guys with no girls. Thanks to my cousin, though, I got a whole different experience. I had trouble finding parking and I didn't feel let getting ripped off for $25 parking near the club so my cousin ended up getting to the club before me. When I finally got parking and walked to the club, I called him up and he came outside to meet me. My cousin pointed me out to the bouncers and I skipped the whole line. I got stopped by the inner door man, but one of the outside bouncers immediately came in to tell them to let me in.

My immediate impression of the place was that the music was extremely loud. The reviews I've read echo that observation. I knew I was going to have a problem sarging as only do well when girls can hear me: that's why I love Alumni Club in Schaumburg back home. I went up to the little VIP area with my cousin and saw a few of his friends that I had met earlier in the week. One of the friends had brought two girls so I immediately attempted to run game on them. Both girls were originally from Colorado. The first one I talked to had moved to Staten Island a year ago. I ran some game on her but I didn't feel like we were clicking to I moved on to the other girl. At first, she seemed into the conversation but then she said she had to go get a drink. I figured I was busted out as I saw her go to her friend and start talking. She didn't bother to get a drink. (Monday morning observation: After talking about this with Seamas last night, I think I know what I did wrong. She only decided to "go get a drink" after I busted on her hard for telling me her number after the 2nd ESP test. I need to be careful with throwing out too many negs in a row.)

I Get Approached:
After I talked to the Colorado gals, I walked around the club. Honestly, I didn't open as much as I normally would b/c the club was basically one big dance area outside of the VIP areas. The music was so loud so I knew I couldn't open larger sets as a girl standing next to me could barely hear me. Still, I opened a few others in the VIP area and as I walked around, I made my usual comments (e.g. "Did he call yet?" "That's a huge purse, do you have a dog in there or something?") I even tried opening some tall blonde by asking her if she was from Minnesota. That didn't go to well.

Just after I entered the VIP area again after one of my rounds, this cute blonde opens me. She says, "Hi," starts touching my shoulder and then introduces herself to me. She says lame AFC type stuff like, "Wow, you're in the VIP area. You must know all these people." In the old days, I would have thought she was just randomly being nice to me, but nowadays, I understand that it so rare for girls to open guys, especially in clubs. When it happens, it means the girl is attracted to you and you can run game differently. I failed to do anything with this set b/c my club game is still lacking. I ran some game on her initially, but I needed to quickly escalate the kino since we were in this insanely loud club environment. When the conversation stalled, I talked to the girl's friend briefly and then I went to talk to my cousin. I figured I could open this girl later.
That was dumb thinking. I couldn't find them in the crowd later, and even if I would have found them, I probably would have discovered that my window had closed. In a loud club environment, your window of opportunity is very small, especially when dealing with party girls. They are constantly looking for more excitement. For that second, she felt I was exciting, but that can change in seconds. A girl can decide that the dance floor is more exciting, or another guy is, or whatever.

2nd Missed Opportunity:
Later, I was doing my usual rounds through the dance floor. Suddenly, I made eye contact with this brunette. I made eye contact with several women throughout the night, but this was different. Neither of us looked away and I started to feel that butterfly feeling in my stomach. I knew that she could also feel the energy flowing between us as her body language immediately changed. Her posture relaxed, including her jaw, which opened slightly. I feel so stupid when I think back on this moment. It really was amazing as all the noise and craziness of the dance floor disappeared for those few seconds and we were totally focused on each other. Now, did I stop and do something about it? Unfortunately, no. If we had been at a coffee shop, I instinctively would have opened her. In this club, I knew she wouldn't be able to hear me so I didn't say anything. I also was at a loss at what to do at that moment as it happened when I least expected something to happen. I also stupidly figured that I'd find her again later.

A few minutes after that moment, I recognized my mistake and I know I'll get it right when a similar situation happens again. Sure, I couldn't have started talking to her like I could in day game, but I could have went up and started immediate kino. That's what the "naturals" do so well. They don't need to think about their move, they just instinctively start with kino when appropriate. What I should have down, then, was walked up as we were having our moment and began with some kino. I could have said, "Hi" in her ear, and then I should have tried to isolate her off the dance floor as quickly as possible. I'm sure I would have earned points if I brought her to the VIP are and introduced her to my cousin and his entourage. Oh well, at least I'm prepared for next time. :)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?